- Bamberger, M., J. Rugh, and L. Mabry. RealWorld Evaluation: Working Under Budget, Time, Data, and Political Constraints, Second Edition. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2011.
See http://www.realworldevaluation.org/ for related materials.
- Bickman, L. and D.J. Rog, eds. The SAGE Handbook of Applied Social Research Methods, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2009.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Framework for Program Evaluation in Public Health,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) 48, no. RR-11 (1999). See http://www.cdc.gov/eval/framework/index.htm
- Chinman, M., P. Imm, and A. Wandersman. Getting to Outcomes 2004: Promoting Accountability Through Methods and Tools for Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation. RAND Corporation Technical Report TR-101-CDC:2004. Available by web only at http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR101.html
- Denzin, N. K., and Y. S. Lincoln, eds. The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Research, 4th ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2011.
- Fitzpatrick, J. L., J. R. Sanders, and B. R. Worthen. Program Evaluation: Alternative Approaches and Practical Guidelines, 4th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 2011.
- Frechtling, J. The 2002 User-Friendly Handbook for Project Evaluation, prepared for the National Science Foundation, Directorate for Education and Human Resources, Division of Research, Evaluation, and Communication. Washington, D.C.: National Science Foundation, January 2002. http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2002/nsf02057/start.htm.
- Macoubrie, J. and C. Harrison. Human Services Research Dissemination: What Works? OPRE Report #2013-09, Washington, D.C.: Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2013. http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre/resource-library/search?topic=2885
- Mark, M. M., G. T. Henry, and G. Julnes. Evaluation: An Integrated Framework for Understanding, Guiding, and Improving Policies and Programs. San Francisco, Calif.: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Mathison, S., ed. Encyclopedia of Evaluation. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2005.
- Newcomer, K. E., H. P. Hatry, and J. S. Wholey. Handbook of Practical Program Evaluation, 4th ed. San Francisco, Calif.: Jossey-Bass, 2015.
- Patton, M. Q. Developmental Evaluation: Applying Complexity Concepts to Enhance Innovation and Use. New York: Guilford Press, 2011.
- Patton, M. Q. Utilization-Focused Evaluation: The New Century Text, 4th ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2008.
- Posavac, E. J. Program Evaluation: Methods and Case Studies, 8th ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 2011.
- Rossi, P. H., M. W. Lipsey, and H. E. Freeman. Evaluation: A Systematic Approach, 7th ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2004.
- Ruegg, R., and G. Jordan. Overview of Evaluation Methods for R&D Programs: A Directory of Evaluation Methods Relevant to Technology Development Programs. U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, March 2007. https://energy.gov/eere/analysis/program-evaluation-eere-resource-documents
- Shadish, W.R., T.D. Cook, and D.T. Campbell, Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Generalized Causal Inference. Boston, Mass.: Houghton-Mifflin, 2002.
- Shaw, I. F., J. C. Greene, and M. M. Mark. The SAGE Handbook of Evaluation. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2006.
- Stufflebeam, D. L., and A. J. Shinkfield. Evaluation Theory, Models & Applications. San Francisco, Calif.: Jossey Bass, 2007.
- Tashakkori, A., and C. Teddlie. SAGE Handbook of Mixed Methods in Social & Behavioral Research, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2010.
- Yarbrough, D. B., L. M. Shulha, R. K. Hopson, and F. A. Caruthers. The Program Evaluation Standards: A Guide for Evaluators and Evaluation Users, 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2011. Produced under the oversight of the Joint Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluation. http://www.jcsee.org/program-evaluation-standards